Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Just a little patience...

"Patience and fortitude conquer all things." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

The leg is slowly but surely doing better. Icing and stretching combined have begun to relax the ITB & piriformis allowing me to run again. I've been slowly building my weekly mileage back up and trying not to get over zealous (something I'm definitely not accustomed to).

This past Saturday, I joined in a group run with the Fox River Trail Runners and their fall marathon training group. Though I somewhat drop in & out of the group runs (due to weekend travel obligations), I really enjoy the people in the group and these runs. Running with others is a good way to regulate your pace which is exactly what I need right now. Saturday's run was at the Great Western Trail.
(Photo courtesy of: http://www.about-bicycles.com/great-western-trail/GreatWestern02l.jpg)
The Great Western is a rails to trails conversion from the former Chicago Great Western Railway and runs approximately 30 miles in total. It is a combination of dirt, crushed limestone, and asphalt lengths and is relatively flat. Although it parallels a highway, the trail is rural enough to let you escape the noise & traffic and be alone in your thoughts if you choose. We logged 12 miles and I only felt mild fatigue in the leg within the last 1/2 mile or so. Not too shabby. It's just a matter of time, moderation, & patience and things should start getting back closer to normal.

No comments: