Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Wish You Were Here...

The past 3 weeks have been hell. I went back home to visit my dad for what was anticipated to be a quick surgery to repair a collapsed lung and instead ended up at his funeral. Not that his health was great (emphysema, colon cancer), but you don't anticipate the end when the operating doctor seems optimistic. Thankfully, the surgery was scrubbed and we had a little time to be with him before he passed though he spent much of that time sedated on morphine. Cruelly, one of the best lessons I've learned from my father is to live the opposite of his lifestyle - eat well, exercise, sleep, and protect my overall health. He was a very kind and loving person who died too young and is greatly missed. I truly wish he was here.

Needless to say, I've been away from running during this time due to long days at the hospital and the subsequent family concerns. If there's a silver lining, maybe it's that I've given my legs a chance to recover so I don't cause undue damage to myself. In more ways than one, I now begin a time of rebuilding.

No comments: